Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kniphofia
a small plot of this red hot poker plant that I used for paper making fiber

I harvested all the brown stuff, too. Let nature do half the work.

In the cooker, 3/4 full of dry fiber. I added water to about half way, and about 5 tablespoons of
soda ash. I let it boil for 2 1/2 hours. Just until the fibers pulled apart easily.

Then I squeezed most the water out, and hammered the bejeezus out of it.

Close up of my red hot poker pulp. It looks like cow pie.

My lump of pulp after about 30-45 min of beating.

I didn't even put a dent in the harvested supply.

Here is one of the first dried pieces of red hot poker paper. I did do one more batch that turned out better formed.
I took them up to the litho press at EUP and calendared them, will post more later about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment